Your teeth may be at risk. Did you know that consuming acidic foods and beverages can cause acid erosion of your teeth? Once softened by exposure to acid, the enamel of the tooth becomes weakened and can be easily eliminated, even by brushing your teeth! If you tend to grind your teeth at night, you can quickly do serious damage.
The acids usually added to our foods include citric acid, acetic acid (vinegar) and phosphoric acid – all of which can significantly harm your enamel. So make sure you read the label of the ingredients.
Why are these acids added?
In most cases, it is to help with preservation. This is widespread in the food industry and it is very rampant.
Where acid affect apart from the teeth
The pain of overexposure to acid only begins with our teeth. These synthetic “acid bombs” that we consume can alter our internal chemistry and greatly affect our overall health.
Our body will attempt to compensate for this excess food acid but at a price. Our alkaline reserves are gradually exhausted, and as it happens, we begin to suffer the many consequences of chronic acidosis.
Here are some of the dangerous effects of chronic acidosis
* Minerals, mainly calcium are extracted from our organs and bones to neutralize excess acid. As calcium is leached from our bones, we can eventually suffer from osteoporosis.
* Our kidneys are overloaded by acid accumulation and have a higher incidence of kidney stones.
* Digestion suffers because excess systemic acid can inhibit the production of gastric acid as well as the alkalizing salts of the gallbladder and pancreas. We have left in our intestine badly digested acidic foods which cause cramps, bloating and risks of intestinal infections.
* Capillary blood flow slows down and the elimination of acid waste at the cellular level is blocked, which increases the effects of cellular aging and increases the risk of cellular transmutation (cancer).
* Accumulation of acid in the pancreas interferes with insulin production, leading to diabetes.
* Our energy levels fall and we suffer from chronic fatigue.
* Fat accumulates around our vital organs (to protect them) and we put more weight
Chronic Acidosis literally destroys the body from the inside out, paving the way for the disease to take over.
Acidic Foods You Should Watch Out For.
Soft drinks (including lemon iced-tea)
Sports drinks – Gatorade, Powerade, etc.
Energy Drinks – Red Bull, Full Throttle, etc.
Citrus Fruits – lemons, limes, grapefruit, etc.
Fruit juices – lemonade, grapefruit, orange, apple, cranberry, etc.
Chewable Vitamin C (never suck on them)
Candies (particularly sour candies)
Vinegar-based products such as salad dressing and ketchup
White or red wine
The Bottom Line: Loss of enamel is progressive. If left to advance, your teeth may become severely compromised.
What You Can Do To Avoid Acid Foods
- Be alarmed. Take this seriously and don’t let your teeth become casualties in the food wars. Pay attention to ingredients and start limiting your exposure to acidic food and beverages.
- Get real. Call junk food it what it is, not a “special treat” that you’ve earned. Avoid associating “comfort” with bad food choices. Try choosing healthy snack alternatives such as nuts and raw veggies
- Stop the Pop! Find healthy alternatives, such as mineral water. If you do indulge, limit the frequency, time length, and concentration of acid exposure.
- Cut out the candy. Tame your sweet tooth before addiction consumes you. Sour candies, being dosed up with citric, malic, and/or tartaric acids, are extra nasty.
- Limit your exposure time. Eating or drinking something slowly throughout the day will do more harm than one big exposure.
- Water your juices down. Many juices have concentrated sugar and acid content, to the point that they cannot even quench your thirst. Consider adding at least half water (2/3 is my preference). Stay away from lemon iced-tea.
- Good Hygiene. Maintain brushing & flossing habits. Be sure to use fluoridated toothpaste to help strengthen your teeth. Avoid brushing your teeth immediately after consuming acidic foods or drinks, as this is when the enamel is at its softest and most likely to be damaged. Simply rinse with water instead.